Homestead work continues..

As tiring as it is, there is a huge satisfaction in being as busy as we are. With the first blacksmithing class to be taught fast approaching we still have other work to do.

This weekend we drove up to the land to swap trucks and go get some lumber to begin building the shed that will eventually become Maria’s sewing cabin. We swapped trucks because the one I have been driving is the ’97 4×4. When we bought it the odometer had stopped working at 252000 miles. It has taken that 7hour round trip to Virginia many times since so there is no telling how many miles are actually on it. It still runs good, but the transmission seems to be getting a little weak, it just doesn’t seem to have the pep on the highway like it used to. Plus, it only has a 6 foot bed and we needed to buy 12 foot boards. The ’04 is two wheel drive, but it is sporting the 5.4 litre triton v8 and it’s got a regular 8 foot bed. We have to keep one parked at the farm all the time because we lack the space in town, hence the swap.

So, my initial calculations for purchasing lumber was way off. Either that or the prices are much different in Virginia. I had planned on about $250 to $300 for half of the floor framing. Wrong…$124. Better to mis-calculate in that direction.

I began framing and getting things level as Maria had to return to town.

Then as you can see it was getting dark quick. So I shut things down and prepared for a cold night in the camper.

It got down to 22 degrees Fahrenheit Saturday night. I have an electric space heater, but unfortunately the generator can’t run all night. So about 1 am the generator ran out of gas and things got chilly. I have a really good sleeping bag from the military and it served its purpose. Its the same model I used when I went to Norway with the Marine Corps. It got down to 50 to 80 below on that deployment, so 22 was nothing. I will ,however, be ordering the auxiliary fuel tank for our little generator that increases the run time by about 12 -18 hours. A little extra comfort can’t hurt.

So after a frosty wake up, I continued to frame. It was then that I realized that I had left the entire box of 10 penny nails for the hangars back at the house, 3.5 hours away. I started googling hardware stores that were open on Sunday. Not many at all, I can tell you. I did figure out that nearly everything we need is about 20 miles away in one direction or another. I felt like George Clooney in O’ Brother Where Art Thou…a true geographical oddity.

So luckily there was a Tractor Supply within that range, so I beat feet up and got some nails. So finally here is half the sewing cabin floor framed out.

With much more to come, Maria and I hope that you all have a glorious week.


7 thoughts on “Homestead work continues..

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s