We finally got back up to the farm this past weekend, I realized that it had been since December that we’ve been up there. Dealing with the day job and the wisdom teeth issue (completely headache free since then, btw) and being generally busy made it tough. And I missed it terribly.
Anyway. I got up there early, put down some old carpet for the road bed, and made a lumber run. I got all of the 2x6s necessary for the trusses, and the plywood for the roof.
I was able to unload and mark all the boards by the time Maria arrived. She and I set up an assembly line of sorts and had them cut in what seemed like no time. Then we started building trusses.
We started hanging them one at a time as we built them. That was a very slow process, even with two of us.
There’s my girl, she really likes to take farm photos with the selfie angle. Lol
That guy in the back almost looks like a cowboy with a drill instead of a six gun…hmm
Late in the day, Maria had to return home. So after that I was on my own. Then things got difficult.
I continued to build trusses, but instead of hanging them one at a time I built them all and just set them up. Then I went back and stood them up, braced them and then secured them. It was still slow but it seemed more efficient for one person.
At the end of the day I was 3/4 done and I was absolutely exhausted. I crawled into the camper and passed out. After about 11 hours of sleep, I got up, had a fantastic breakfast (as usual when I’m cooking at the farm) and did some stretching. I then got back to work.
I finally got the rest of the trusses up and secured. The real fun began after that!
If you’ve never sheeted a roof by yourself, and you’re looking for a challenge…then give it a try. I’ll be perfectly honest, it whipped my ass!
I did get it done, but wow, was I tired!
I closed up the camper and packed up just around dark. I then made that 3.5 hour drive back to the beach. And that was a job in itself.
I spent the next couple of days at the day job pissing and moaning about how sore I was. But at home in the forge I was able to make my first friction folder. I’m pretty proud of how it came out. Its got a 4.5 inch blade and a leopard wood handle.
There she is, prior to finishing the handle. Its all sanded, it just needs to be oiled.
Anyway, this one ended up waaaay longer than planned.
As always, we hope you have a great week! And hopefully a week and a half from now we will have the cabin dried in! Yay!!
All the best,